Terms and Conditions
1. You can only submit work that you own the copyrights to. Work must be original and un-published, and must not infringe on any existing copyright.
2. Word counts are approximate. Short stories slightly over the 5,000 word mark will be allowed, as will poems slightly over 1,000 words and flash fiction slightly over 500 words. If you have pieces of work that you want to enter that are above the word limit, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the word count and she will get back to you.
3. Entries must be submitted in a word document. Formatting should be minimal, and a simple font should be used. Please don't indent your paragraphs using either the space or tab key - instead use the indenting options under the 'paragraph' menu.
4. All entrants must be aged 16 or over, or have the permission of an adult to pay the fee via paypal.
5. The competition is open to UK and international writers, but the entries must be in English.
6. Stories will be published on the website and in the anthologies as they were submitted. Some small edits may be made by Darker Times Fiction, such as correcting spelling mistakes and grammar.
7. Apart from the theme and the word count, there aren't any restrictions on the work submitted; swearing and sex scenes are allowed if they are in keeping with the story. However, we do not accept work that is overtly sexist or racially offensive.
8. By submitting a short story, flash fiction piece, or poem, you grant Darker Times Fiction the non-exclusive rights to publish the work on the website and in an ebook and paperback anthology if the story is successful in the competitions as a winner, runner up or honourable mention.
9. Please do not submit work that has previously been published either in a book or as part of another writing competition. If you submit an entry that subsequently wins another competition, please let us know.
10. The winner of each monthly competition will receive a percentage of the money raised by the entry fees, a minimum of £15. This will be paid to the winner via paypal. The winner will also have their story published on the website and in a Darker Times Anthology.
11. For each competition, there will be three runners up each month, plus some honourable mentions depending on the amount of entries. All runners up and honourable mentions will have their stories published on the website and in a Darker Times Anthology ebook and paperback. They will receive no prize money.
12. There will be no further payments or royalties paid to writers for their inclusion on the website and in a Darker Times Anthology. All writers will be credited fully for their story, poem, or piece of work and will have the chance to include a short bio and a link to their website.
13. Entry is £5 each (for one short story, or two pieces of flash fiction, or two poems) and is payable via paypal. Multiple entries from the same author are allowed.
14. All entries should be submitted via email to email@example.com. The author's name and the title of the story, piece or poem should be in the subject line, and work should be attached to the email in a word document.
15. The closing date for all competitions is the last day of each month at midnight GMT. Winners, runners up and honourable mentions will be announced on the 5th of the following month. Any submissions received after midnight on the last day of the month shall automatically go into the next month's competition.
16. By paying the fee and emailing in your submission, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
17. Once you have submitted a piece of work and paid the entry fee, no refunds can be made unless decided by the competition runner.